Saturday, 12 July 2014

Twitterly thoughts


If I see 'Contributed tweets are provided by @SomeCrapApp' on your timeline, I don't retweet you. Why? Because it means you can't be bothered to actually look on Twitter and see what a person would like retweeting, or what might be of interest to your followers. Half the time you just retweet my conversation; I retweet people, not robots. Alas, you will never read this because you are rarely actually ON Twitter, so you don't read people's blog posts, either.


(ps, I know there are a few very busy people who use @SomeCrapApp but also do Twitter in real life.  I do not include you in this!!!)


If you want your tweet to be retweeted by some of these group RT things like Monday Blogs, authorRT and wwwblogs, please do retweet others on the timeline, don't just stick the hashtag on your tweet. It's the retweets that make these hashtags a good thing. The point of such things is that you share others' posts with YOUR followers, too - that's how it works!

I won't write anything else - I'll just recommend that you buy TWITTER FOR WRITERS by Rayne Hall ~ no Twitter using writer should be without it!  Click title for UK link. US link HERE


ps, I am not on commission, and have no vested interest in the book - it's just really, really good!


8 comments:

  1. Hi Terry. I've just downloaded a copy of Twitter for Writers on your recommendation from your comment on Joanne Phillips's blog. It certainly looks comprehensive. Off to browse it now! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's excellent, Wendy - I'm sure you'll find it a real help! Thanks for letting me know :)

      Delete
  2. A lovely read. Had to share. thanks Terry
    :) Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - the more people who just say 'no' to RTing apps the better - spread the word!!! x

      Delete
  3. You're so right, Terry, about these automatic retweets. Yes, it's hard work vering on the impossible to keep up with all the potential interconnections, but if we don't do it genuinely, what's the point?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Anne. It IS impossible to keep up with everything and everyone, yes, but we can try! On the good side, if you don't retweet back all the @SomeCrapApp crew they keep retweeting you anyway - because they rarely actually look at Twitter and don't realise you're not returning them!!!

      Delete
  4. I have recommended this book to a lot of my (indie author) clients, who are unused to Twitter and don't know how best to utilise it. Twitter can be a bit confusing at first, and it takes some weeks to get to know your way around it, and then to start enjoying it. I had a look at those tweet-scheduling services, and apart from finding them very confusing, came to the conclusion that I'd rather just be the genuine me on Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tips and book recommendation Terry - I have downloaded it :-) Gx

    ReplyDelete