Friday, 9 October 2015

The Z Files: John Privilege ~ Gemini

Welcome to The Z Files!  I invited a selection of writers and bloggers to show how the characteristics of their star sign influence their work; they were asked to treat the subject as seriously, cynically or lightly as they like....


.... and today's Gemini writer, John Privilege, has chosen to treat it very cynically and lightly indeed!  Before we start, I'd just like to say that I 'met' John on Twitter when he made a sarky remark to me about my over-promotion of something.  I must have been in a generous Leo mood, because I admitted he had a point!  I then asked if I could have a look at his book (to which there was no link on Twitter ~ John doesn't really do this self-promotion thing!) and he told me about The Turning of the World.  It happened to be in a genre that interests me (post apocalyptic), so I bought it and gave it ago.  I was blown away; my review (with Amazon links) is HERE
(writing this bit a couple of weeks later)....and I've just read and reviewed his latest book, also excellent: The American Policeman ~ HERE.

Now, John, I agree with you that horoscopes themselves are rubbish; this series is about your astrological traits, but never mind...  let's have it, then!!


"As a Gemini, the movements of the planets and the random patterns of stars billions of light years apart affect my writing deeply. I and my fellow Geminis, exactly 1/12th of the planet’s population, experience the same things, in the same way, every day. This is, of course, regardless of age, culture, gender, race, traditions, geography, disability, ability, psychological make-up, wealth, religion, irreligion, profession, skill and politics. And whichever football team we support. This can make it very difficult to get a drink when we all fancy going to the pub, even in Belfast."


"This photo captures perfectly the reaction of all Geminis to having their picture taken. None of us likes looking like this but who has the choice, right? All Geminis, at any given time, every day, display all of the following character traits. We are, all of us,  keen to learn, cerebrally orientated, chatty, energetic, communicative, interested, sociable... but can also be superficial, unreliable, too changeable, a jack of all trades and master of none. These traits will be essential when we rise up and crush our mortal enemies – the Cancerians! Creepy-crawly bastards! Now I fancy going to the pub. Ack! The queue at the bar will be enormous."

Fair enough, most witty and typically Gemini, if I may say so ~ and just for you, I'll supply a list of the negative traits.  Now... I can see evasive, quarrelsome, quickly bored, irritable, sarcastic...no, no, no, I won't have it said!


If anyone agrees with John and would like to give him the thumbs up, he appears, somewhat reluctantly, on Twitter!

Links to posts by others who, ahem, took this slightly more seriously, can be found below...

Now, which Gemini writers can I find to go with John?

I've chosen the critical, cynical, wise and philosophical Jean-Paul Sartre...


and, ditto, Allen Ginsberg!



Next Up: Aries

Previous Posts:
Leo and Aries: Me, and Julia Proofreader
Leo: Anne Goodwin, Alex Johnson
Gemini: Shelley Wilson,
Aquarius and Capricorn: Nicky Black
AquariusCathy Ryan, Lynda Renham,
SagittariusWendy J Lennox, Katrina Mountfort
Virgo: Barb Taub
Pisces: Sacha Black
Scorpio: Jenny Twist
Taurus: Valerie Poore
CancerKatie Oliver, Mark Barry,




 

11 comments:

  1. As I said in my tweet - sceptical but witty :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice to hear more about John, and indeed more from him. Typical Gemini, most mercurial, but I bet he's still waiting to get inside that pub!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I hadn't used that picture. I do look like this, a fact I really need a photograph to disguise. I do like the pose, though. When I die, I'll have myself stuffed and posed exactly like this. You can hang stuff from my fingers. Make a decent coat-rack. Thanks, again Terry. I'm not publicity-shy. Just very lazy. And more than a little giggly and snorty about this whole writing thing. Yes. I remember the sarky comment. You were, and are, very kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband does giggly and snorty too. Hope your family haven't read this, they might be tempted to hasten your death in order to make such a super jewellery and scarf hanging thing. :)

      Delete
  4. Big chuckle. He who doth protest and all that. Typical. That's what I call it….and I loved it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant! I can't fault my fellow Gemini - see you at the pub John ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me at pencil-headed Geminis. From one.

    ReplyDelete