Thursday 16 March 2017

RAPID FIRE #Book Tag #amreading #bookbloggers

I was tagged in this by Cathy 
from Between The Lines book blog 


eBooks or physical books?
I read everything on my tablet via Kindle app. 

Paperback or hardback?
Paperbacks seem cumbersome enough these days ~ definitely not hardback! 

Online or in-store shopping? 
I buy almost all my books online.  Times change....

Trilogies or series? 
Presumably this means one long story that covers three books, or lots of novels with one theme?  Impossible to answer.  Depends on the story/writer.

Heroes or villains? 
Villains (or maybe villeins; I like medieval history...)

A Book You Want Everyone to Read?
The Silent Kookaburra by Liza Perrat


Recommend an underrated book
Any Man Joe by Robert Leigh



Weirdest thing you used as a book mark? 
I don't use weird things, but I usually use old photos from a pile I have in a little basket on the floor of the living room.

Used books, yes or no? 
Yes, unless the previous owner died of the Black Death.

Top three favourite genres? 
Historical, post apocalyptic, adventure-thriller.

The last book you finished? 
Codename Lazarus by A P Martin

Characters or plot? 
Characters - a mediocre plot can be overcome with great characters, but the best plot in the world is only mediocre if the characters are one-dimensional.


Short or long book?
 Long-ish.


Long or short chapters? 
Whatever suits the book.


Name the first three books you think of? 
The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell, because I've just been reading about the TV adaptation of the second book

The Lady's Slipper by Deborah Swift, because I was discussing it with a friend, earlier today.

The Utopia Experiment by Dylan Evans, because it's what I'm reading at the moment.


Books that make you laugh or cry? 
Neither.  I like books that fascinate, teach, thrill, or make me go 'Well, blow me down, I wasn't expecting that.'


Our world or fictional worlds? 
Our world - even if it's just been hit by disaster....


Do you ever judge a book by its cover? 
No.  Some of the best self-pub books I've read have homemade covers.  
And I've seen too many wonderful covers let down by what's inside.


Book to movie or book to TV adaptation? 
Either, if they're well done.  I only hate it when they don't stick to the book, or pick actors who don't look like the characters in my head.

Series or standalone? 
Series, if I love it - well, you just want more, don't you?


 As Cathy said, if you want to be tagged in this, please let me know in the comments!






17 comments:

  1. Another reminder that I need to get to read a Robert Lee book! Top stuff T :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do indeed! Wish he'd hurry up and write the next one :)

      Delete
  2. Now you've surprised me, TT. I thought you read some paperbacks too! It's funny how different much of our reading is, by the way. I've never read or even looked at the three you've mentioned here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never read a historical novel???!!! That amazes me! But then I have never read a vampire, or a sweet romance, or....!! Thriller is such a wide category - I thought I'd try to be more specific. I like the sort that involve long journeys in difficult places, that sort of thing, as opposed to crime or psychological.

      Delete
    2. ....I am actually reading a paperback at the moment because it's a book someone lent me for research, and it's a pain in the neck, you can't prop it up while you're eating, you can't read it in the dark, or highlight passages, or change the font, or....!!!

      Delete
    3. Haha, yes! I have read histfic books...loads of them, but years ago now. I think I glutted on them and then lost the appetite, except for Carol's and 20th century history. I did the tudors to death when I was studying them, and also medieval history...maybe I'll get the taste back in time! I'd just not heard of the books you've mentioned here.

      Delete
    4. I think I've read all the Tudor history I'll ever want to read ~ but then there's Gemma Lawrence's series about Elizabeth and Anne Boleyn, so maybe not (they're marvellous). Can't read too much Planatagenet stuff, ever, and some other writers have got me interested in other centuries (Ann Swinfen and Deborah Swift the 17th, William Savage the 18th).

      The Silent Kook is set in the 1970s, and Any Man Joe is modern day.

      Delete
  3. Ooh and can I be tagged too, please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Consider yourself tagged! Now just copy the questions from mine, and put a link to this in your post - ta! xx

      Delete
    2. Fab! Will do it tomorrow! :) xx

      Delete
  4. Loved reading your answers Terry - I've just finished The Silent Kookaburra and loved it :D xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - and yes, wasn't it a great book?! I've got another of hers to read :)

      Delete
    2. I shall look out for your review of the new one :D xx

      Delete
  5. Hi Terry - it's great to read posts by someone well read .. and then to have the recommendations. I'm not the world's greatest reader - I guess I do too much on line and at home ... but have to say I'm hooked on books - probably if I did more reading then I'd use the Kindle ...

    Interesting to read your answers though .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with your comment re hardbacks. Even the paperback I'm reading is giving me hand ache trying to keep it open (I'm sure I never noticed before I had a Kindle).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!!! Me too - that was when I realised I was a confirmed Kindle user. Also, you can prop the Kindle up easily, when eating, hair drying, etc - most important for me!

      Delete