Friday 25 March 2016

A crash course in the early Plantagenets


I'm currently reading the excellent The Plantagenets: Warrior Kings and Queens Who Made England, by Dan Jones, mostly because I wanted to know more about Henry II and his heirs.  It's a book I would most definitely recommend but it's very long and involved, so, for those with less reading time, I would like to provide this crash course in the early history of this most fascinating of royal houses.


Henry II ~ my favourite Plantagenet

Henry I was the grandson of William The Conqueror, though at the time he was just called Henry, not Henry I, because no one knew there would be seven more.  

Henry's only surviving child was his daughter, Matilda, who he made his heir.  Henry made her marry Geoffrey of Anjou, in France.  Geoff was a stylish chap who wore a little yellow flower in his hat, the Latin name of which was planta genista, hence the name Plantagenet.  Cool, right?!  

This marriage reinforced England's control over France.  Matilda, however, wasn't too keen because she was twenty-nine and Geoff was only fifteen.  A little on the gross side, I am sure you agree.

Geoff, of yellow flower in hat fame


Enter stage left Matilda's cousin, Stephen, who thought he ought to be King, so they had a lot of battles until Matilda and Geoff threw the towel in and went back to France.  Geoff died, but they had a son called Henry II who was brave, intelligent and wise, even going into battle to support his father when he was just thirteen, ie, the sort of fellow you want to be in charge of a country or two.

(Also, it makes you think: if they'd let Arya in Game of Thrones and Judith in The Walking Dead fight in more battles instead of saying "y'all stay home, you're too young", they might have won more battles too.")

Later on Henry II zipped back over to England and made friends with Stephen, who agreed Henry could be king after him.  Stephen was pretty old by then.


King Stephen ~ an intelligent man with a dark side. 


Once Henry was king he married Eleanor of Aquitaine, a feisty wench previously married to Louis VII of France - he'd turned out to be a bit of a drip.  This was a good move by Henry because it guaranteed him control over loads of bits of France.

Henry carried on being a top bloke, and pulled lots of clever and diplomatic moves all over England and France, with lords and nobles and castles and laws, etc.


Feisty wench Eleanor of Aquitaine, who would ride about the country disguised as a chap

King Henry II was big buddies with Thomas Beckett who he made Archbishop of Canterbury, but it was one of those toxic friendships.  Thomas had lots of issues, including some way tedious self-esteem problems, so he made a lot of trouble for King Henry.  

One night at court, Henry was ranting about his high-maintenance chum, and a few of his soldiers mistakenly thought he meant them to kill him.  He didn't, but they did anyway.  Then everyone thought King Henry had ordered it, so a lot of people were angry because having the Archbishop of Canterbury murdered was a bit off.

Thomas Beckett: a psychotherapist's dream client
....and here he is being murdered.  You'd have thought he'd hear three of them that close behind him.

*

King Henry and Eleanor had four sons:
  • Henry The Young King (henceforth to be known as Henry TYK)
  • Richard (soon to be The Lionheart)
  • Geoffrey (a two-faced snake)
  • John (later of Magna Carta fame).
  

Henry The Young King
~ the face that inspired a thousand doubts

Henry TYK was posturing and vain, and considered by most to be whiny and childishly impulsive.  Kind of the Prince Harry of his day.  At this time there were lots of arguments about bits of land in England and France and who owned what territory.  Then King Henry started giving bits of France to his daughters for dowrys, and Henry TYK, Richard and Geoffrey got pissed off about it - and so did their mother Eleanor.  She was possessive about Aquitaine, probably because it was part of her name.

Eleanor and the three boys teamed up with Eleanor's ex, Louis VII (who had never forgiven Henry for copping off with Eleanor), and started having battles against King Henry.  Peace was restored but King Henry put Eleanor under palace arrest for the rest of her days.  This is like being under house arrest but much better because you get servants.


Richard The Lionheart
~ much sexier than Henry The Young King, as you can see
.


King Henry tried to make Richard and Geoffrey kneel to Henry TYK as his heir, but Richard wouldn't because he was an awesome soldier (if a tad obsessed with a guy called Saladin) and Henry TYK was of use to neither man nor beast.  Then Henry TYK chucked all his toys out of his pram and tried to rebel, but got dysentery and died, and everyone secretly said, "thank Christ for that".

Next: Richard is made King but plunders England's wealth on his quest for personal glory en CrusadeI feel really sorry for Henry II.  That such a sound chap got such a rubbish family is most tragic.

And that's as far as I've got.


34 comments:

  1. Another historical re-telling in the pipelines?? Please say yes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Emma - the one after next! Currently writing a psych thriller but have wanted to do one about H2 and his horrible offspring (and feisty wench of a wife) for a while. I'm just glad you want to read it :)x

      Delete
  2. You missed your vocation as an alternative History teacher of wit and humour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, thank goodness someone 'got' it - I just rattled it off the other day because it amused me to do so, then suddenly realised that people might just think I was a bit thick!! x

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. I loved this, and I love history - did a degree in it. Though I'm sure my academic tomes never included the word douchebag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're lucky it didn't include the word 'twat', Jo - it nearly did!!! :)

      Delete
  5. Terry's Terrible Histories...yep, might have legs....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel there is much scope for all sorts with them Plantagenets. I love 'em, me ;)

      Delete
  6. History with humour!! Wish I'd had you as a history teacher, Terry. Might have learned a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if only to remember who was a douchebag and who wasn't!!!

      Delete
  7. What a marvellous history teacher you would make!! Loved this - bit by bit you are tempting me over to historical fiction haha ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, Shelley, but it's only been in later life that I've really got to adore the subject. School made it so boring! x

      Delete
    2. They do say that youth is wasted on the young! I love history and even geography is more interesting now I'm older. I was lucky enough to have an epic English teacher at school but the other subjects - *snore* ;-)

      Delete
    3. I used that phrase in an interview only the other day, it's so true! I LOVE all hist & geog now - endless appetite for it - hope I have enough time left to read/write all I want to.

      Delete
  8. Hi Terry - they were certainly a mixed bag of characters, with a mighty fine Kingdom to attempt to keep ... it's a real muddle of history ... finally I might be getting to work it out - this will be a great read ... and the post/s enlightening .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very funny - I laughed and also learned something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it's a bit like Les Dawson and his bad piano playing - you can only do it funny if you do actually know about it!

      Delete
  10. Love it! It's such a complicated story and so full of manipulation and scheming, it makes American soaps like Dynasty look tame. You, TT, have told it brilliantly. Poor H2. Oh no. Such a good geezer (and why am I now thinking of water heaters? Haha)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! And people ask where the inspiration for my books comes from...! Glad you like, V xx

      Delete
  11. Brilliant! This had me giggling all the way through. I'll forever think of him as Henry TYK now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This made me smile so very, very, much :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really enjoyed this post, Terry. Hope you're going to tell the story of more of our historical dynasties :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, Lynne, I think I might - look out for Edwards I and II when I get there!

      Delete
  14. Brilliant whistlestop tour! I think so many people get hung up on the Tudors, they forget about the Plantagenets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more! I was looking for books about Henry II, and the one I mentioned was the only one I found - I am sure there must be more, but not in comparison with the books about Anne Boleyn et al! Love the Planta Genistas, they're my favourite royal house. And as for the first two Edwards... ! :)

      Delete
  15. You have an interesting theory that it was the murder victim, Becket, who was insane rather than the murderer, King Henry. And yes, when you tell your henchmen you want them to kill someone that makes you a murderer. That's why he did penance for it. The Plantagenets were all in all an entitled, murderous & greedy bunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were, indeed, but I don't think they're different from the rulers in any other time in history.

      What I've read about Henry gives me the impression that he was a relatively decent and reasonable sort of chap. Becket sounds like a total P inthe A, though. ;)

      Delete
  16. Actually, it's an up-to-date version of '1066 and All That'!

    ReplyDelete