Wednesday 14 June 2017

Tipping Point: coming your way on August 7th!



"I didn't know danger was floating behind us on the breeze as we walked along the beach, seeping in through the windows of our picture postcard life."

 Tipping Point ~ out 7th August
Click here to see it on Goodreads



  The facts:
  • Genre: Post apocalyptic, family drama, romantic relationships, dystopian, with a background thread of government conspiracy.  As with all my novels, it's very much a character-driven book.
  • Length: Around 90K words, ie, roughly the same length as The Devil You Know but shorter than The House of York, and Kings and Queens and Last Child.
  • Setting: The fictional Norfolk seaside town of Shipden (based on Cromer), and a fictional village in Tyne and Wear, Elmfield (loosely based on Monkton Village, near Jarrow).
  • Main Characters: 34 year old Vicky Keating and her 16 year-old daughter, Lottie.  Her long-term partner, Dex.  Friends Kara and Phil, and Heath and his teenage son, Jackson.

The blurb
The year is 2024.  A new social networking site bursts onto the scene.  Private Life promises total privacy, with freebies and financial incentives for all.  Across the world, a record number of users sign up. 

A deadly virus is discovered in a little known African province, and it's spreading—fast.  The UK announces a countrywide vaccination programme.  Members of undercover group Unicorn believe that the disease is man-made, and the public are being fed lies driven by a vast conspiracy.

Vicky Keating's boyfriend, Dex, is working for Unicorn over two hundred miles away when the first UK outbreak of the virus is detected in her hometown of Shipden, on the Norfolk coast.  The town is quarantined under military lockdown, and, despite official 'no need to panic' claims, within days the virus is out of control.

In London, government employee Travis is working on a bulk data analysis project when he begins to question its purpose, while in Newcastle there are scores to be settled...

Sequel Lindisfarne is set on the island of the same name (click link for pictures) and will be out in September.  An outtake short story collection, Patient Zero, is planned for around Christmas, with Book 3 out in mid 2018.
 




 

30 comments:

  1. I have a teenaged son named Jackson. I'll be sure to but this for him

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Terry - good luck 2024 isn't that far away ... it will be interesting to see what the world is like via Tipping Point. Lindisfarne is special ... so I imagine your trilogy will make a good read. All the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although dystopian ones aren't my usual reading, this sounds v interesting Terry, looking fwd to reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's not all Mad Max and people killing each other; not that different from my usual books, really.

      Delete
  4. Sounds exciting Terry and no wonder you're busy getting these out in quick succession. I shall look forward to them :-) like Hilary said, 2024 is just around the corner...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were originally intended to be short novels (about 60K), and I'd planned to publish the first in April at the latest, and the second this month, but they kind of grew, and in the end I had to face the fact that they would be full length! Hoping to get Book 2 to proofreading stage by August, and as soon as it's back and ready for test reads, I'll publish Book 1. Doing this post has made me itching to publish it, though!

      Delete
    2. I can imagine. I'm starting to feel like that about my next one :-)

      Delete
    3. What stage are you at with it?

      Delete
  5. They sound great, Terry. Looking forward to reading them x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you; I will let you have an ARC of TP as soon as I have it!

      Delete
  6. Looking forward to this very much, TT. Sounds fascinating!! It's the sort of thing that interests me too...the use of data for nefarious purposes and all that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, and I'm sure it is more nefarious than we think, though maybe not as bad as in my book.... yet....!!

      Delete
    2. oooh..can I have a review copy?

      Delete
    3. Sure, CJ, I'll put you on the list. Relevant to your blog article the other week about The Handmaid's Tale, right??!!

      Delete
  7. OMG Terry, I think we are heading that way already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe so too, Liz; it's thinking about this stuff that made me want to write this, partly.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations, I know how much hard work goes into all your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck, Terry. It sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you - it's pretty sinister!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to read Tipping Point! It sounds fabulous, Terry. Although I'm pretty sure it will scare the bejeezus out of me haha ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It won't, but it might give you food for thought!!!!

      Delete
  12. As always, Ema and I will look forward to getting our hands on your latest novel, Terry! Love from all your fans in Cromer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will let you know when it's out :) (Probably on Twatbook!).

      Cromer, pandemic style...!

      Delete
  13. I can't wait to read this one, Terry! *squeals with excitement*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The sequel is almost ready to go off for proofreading, too :) (That's me, spending all summer at my laptop again....)

      Delete
  14. Sounds amazing - can't wait to read them!

    ReplyDelete