Sunday 18 October 2015

The Z Files: Joanne B ~ Libra

Astrology ~ a bit of fun, a load of rubbish, or something to take seriously?

I invited around 70 writers/bloggers to tell me if they think they're typical of their sign, and how their astrological traits affect their writing life ~ if at all...

Has your favourite writer been featured yet?  Links to all previous posts at the end of this one.

Finally, the whole zodiac is represented ~ bringing a bit of balance to the series, The Z Files' first Libra, in the form of the delightful Joanne B!  She writes a blog called Writes of Passage, which is well worth subscribing to (it's not just about writing, plenty of other stuff to read and it's all very good indeed), and is busy working on a children's fantasy trilogy.


Let Joanne tell you all about her equilibrium... or lack of!


"Am I a typical Libran? Oh yes, I do think in many ways I am. I am certainly hesitant and indecisive and spend a lot of time weighing up pros and cons. I hate the pressure of decision making and so I don’t think I’d ever be disciplined enough to self publish my books and be my own boss. I’d also say this is why I’m more of a 'pantser' than planner when writing. If I plan things I dilly-dally, if I just write, the decision making is almost done for me by the characters! 

Why do I get nervous if my work space is not a place of calm, tranquillity, order and beauty? Anyone who knows about this astrology stuff will tell you a Libra cannot work unless the environment is harmonious. My desks (both at home and in school, where I teach,) are notoriously always well ordered and contain an array of beautiful objects. Utterly useless most of them, but stylish, in my opinion anyway!"


"I guess the Libran reputation for being communicative is maybe the reason I ended up teaching and now writing. I do feel the need to communicate, a lot! (Though as an introvert the need to rest from interaction too. There, the Libran trait of achieving balance!) However, the writing has become more important to me as time has gone on as I’ve wanted to let my more artistic and creative side out. My favourite part of primary teaching has always been the creative part, however that seems to have being slowly eroded. Writing a fantasy story for children therefore gives me that outlet to be unabashedly creative.

One of the apparent traits of a typical Libran, as already mentioned, is that balance is always achieved, but usually by wildly swinging from one extreme to the other. I’d certainly identify with this, especially with writing. I am an all or nothing person. If I sit down to write I can write thousands of words, no problem. I will go at a project all week, and then collapse in a heap for about two weeks and do nothing. Zilch, zero. I’m in one of those phases right now. I do not subscribe to writing a little every day. The balance is achieved eventually. The words do get written. Just not in even bursts."


"Libra is an air sign and I always have my head in the clouds, scheming and dreaming. So when people ask me “what keeps you going in carrying on writing, though unpublished yet?” it’s probably the idealistic, dreamer in me, as well as the need to be expressive and creative, which keeps me going. The idea that one day the pie in the sky dream will become reality.

I do wonder, however, (see now, a Libran will always balance out the argument even with themselves), if the real reason I don’t pursue the writing as fervently as I maybe should, is because I’m: a) fearful, and b) concerned about tipping that delicate harmonious balance which is so important.  If writing becomes the job, then will the balance of work and pleasure be upset? I wonder… :)" 

Thank you for that in depth insight into the Libran mind, Joanne ~ and there was me thinking it must be one of the easiest signs to be!  She should have added in pleasant and charming, too, of course....you can follow Joanne on  Twitter, and the link to her blog is in the introductory paragraph.



I wonder if these two Libran writers have suffered the same bouts of indecision?

Best selling light women's fiction author Cecilia Ahern...


....and a man with the odd fantasy trilogy up his sleeve, too ~ Philip Pullman



Up next: a Pisces dreamer...

Previous posts (click name to see article):
Leo and Aries: Terry Tyler and Proofreader Julia
LeoAnne Goodwin, Alex Johnson
Aries: Cynthia Harrison
GeminiJohn Privilege, Shelley Wilson,
Aquarius and Capricorn: Nicky Black
AquariusCathy Ryan, Lynda Renham
SagittariusWendy J Lennox, Katrina Mountfort,
CancerKatie Oliver, Mark Barry,
VirgoElizabeth Ducie, Barb Taub,
Pisces: Sacha Black
ScorpioCatherine Hokin, Jenny Twist,
TaurusValerie Poore

10 comments:

  1. I was interested in this sign particularly as it is my rising sign and I don't pay as much attention to it as I should. When Joanne said she was a teacher, a writer, and an introvert with a need to communicate, I checked off every box. Suppose I should read both my sun and rising sign from now on:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and your moon sign too Cindy! (sorry for butting in).

      Delete
    2. Butt in all you like, Shaz, thanks for reading!!

      Talking of that, Cindy, I don't read horoscopes any more, but I remember reading my star sign, rising, AND moon, then deciding on the one I liked best - it got a bit daft! I don't know if having the traits of another sign affects the actual horoscope. But then I don't set much by horoscopes anyway, just the characteristics :)

      Delete
  2. It's interesting what Cindy says about rising signs as I have Virgo rising and often wonder if it for this reason I have a need to be ultra organised!

    Thanks very much, Terry for asking me to bring balance to this blog series. ;) It was lots of fun to think about and write. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely piece, Jo, thank you for writing it - and for managing to comment!! xx

      Delete
    2. You're more than welcome! And hooray! I can navigate technology! :D x

      Delete
  3. Ooh I missed this one, Jo! I'm so sorry! What an amazingly good Libran you are :) I wondered about this swinging between one extreme and the other, and how that becomes balanced in the end. It explains a lot about my ex husband….haha! He was a writer and did it just like you…all or nothing, but it got there in the end. I never knew that before, so thank you for enlightening me. You sound like a lovely Libran though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! What a lovely thing to say. I've not known many male Librans and certainly never dated one! I'm not sure I could cope with all that swinging from one extreme to another! It's tiring enough just being that way myself!

      Delete
  4. I love the thought of your harmonious working environment Joanne and trying to keep everything in balance - I'm sure we would all benefit from a bit more of that! Lovely to meet you and I shall go and find you on Twitter :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sat here typing this surrounded by candles, trying to create that harmony after a stressful morning at the chalk face and with my seven year old! I can't stand chaos of any sort. I do get ever so cranky the moment things are off kilter in any way. Thanks, for your kind comment and lovely to meet you too. :)

      Delete