Sunday 25 October 2015

The Z Files: Louise Marley ~ Virgo

Astrology ~ a bit of fun, a load of rubbish, or something to take seriously?

I invited around 70 writers/bloggers to write a piece about whether or not they're typical of their zodiac sign, and how its traits affect their writing life ~ if at all...

Has your favourite writer been featured yet?  Links to all previous posts at the end of this one :)


 A thirteenth part of the Novelistas, Louise Marley is also a very helpful Virgo!  She writes romantic comedy and romantic suspense, sometimes a combination of the two, and is lucky enough to live in Wales with a view of Snowdon from her window - that'll be me with the green face:)  As we're getting near Hallowe'en I'd like to make a special mention of Louise's ghostly book, Something Wicked (click for Amazon link).



Please do tell us about your Virgo-ness, Louise :)


"Sometimes I feel being born under the sign of Virgo was some kind of cosmic joke. You see, I don’t think I’m a typical Virgo at all. Virgos are supposed to be organised and I’m the most disorganised person I know. I’ve never been on time in my entire life, including to my own wedding. But I’ve never missed a deadline either – although there was that one manuscript which went off at two minutes before midnight … So I suppose you could say being conscientious was a typical Virgo trait."

(nb: my experience of Virgos is that they are either very tidy and organised or the complete opposite!)


"Then there’s the whole ‘Virgos are tidy’ thing. My study looks like a tornado blew through it*, possibly because my idea of filing is to dump everything into a pile on the floor and just keep stepping over it. Virgos don’t mind repetitive and nitty-gritty tasks? Ha! I find repetition boring, and when I’m bored my attention wanders and I begin to dream in plots – resulting in missed appointments and burnt dinners."


"Are there any Virgo traits I will admit to? Well, there’s likes to be of service to others, because I do love to offer help and advice (whether people want it or not) and I’m very loyal. It might take me forever to decide whether I like you, but when I do I’m afraid you’re stuck with me. I’m also very honest. Um, too honest, actually. Don’t ever ask me what I ‘really’ think, unless you really, really want the answer. It’s a wonder I have any friends at all. Curiously enough though, none of them are Virgos … 

Famous Virgos? Two of my favourite singers, Beyoncé and Pink, and one of my all-time author heroes, Stephen King!"


Louise is very Virgoan on Twitter where she retweets and shares the posts of others generously.  She is a frequent blogger, and posts lots of articles about castles and places she visits, in Wales and around, with luverly pictures!  See her blog HERE.

I've already used Stephen King for a previous Virgo; instead, I'll make up the Virgo light women's fiction trio with Louise :)

Here is many chick lit lovers' favourite, Marian Keyes....


....and author of that 1980s classic, Lace, amongst others ~ Shirley Conran



Who's next?  A blogging Capricorn :)

Previous Posts:
Aquarius and Capricorn: Nicky Black
LibraJoanne B

15 comments:

  1. Thank you, Terry! I do love that cartoon of Stephen King. And wow, Shirley Conran! I remember reading Lace under my desk at school ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Well, under my desk in my shop - I was about 25 when I read it! I remember liking Pagan best :)

      Delete
    2. Do you know, despite reading it *cough* years ago, I still remember all the characters' names! How many books can you say that about?!! I think Pagan was one of my favourites, and also Maxine, because she was so glamorous x

      Delete
    3. Oh yes, lovely glam Maxine! And Kate (who they missed out of the telly version!) and... Tom? Was the chambermaid Jenny? Pagan's husband Chris? Then there was Lily... I can't remember the Prince's name, tho. Not quite as good as you!

      Delete
    4. I'd forgotten Kate! My book has the TV tie-in cover, so that must have been when I read it. I also bought the sequel - which was nothing like the TV version; it was a completely different story! There was a reason for that but I don't think I can post it here in case I get sued ...

      Delete
    5. Now you HAVE to tell me... in private, if you have a moment! I didn't read that, I thought it looked like rubbish :)

      Delete
  2. Is it a Virgo trait that you don't want to own your Virgo-ness? I sympathize, O fellow Virgo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you're probably right! Who wants to be known as 'nit-picking' and 'prudish'! I always wanted to be Scorpio, they sounded much more exciting ...

      Delete
  3. Well the Virgo I know best is my sister, and she also lives with heaps of stuff around her, but like Louise, she's intense about helping others (whether they want it or not...hmm sound familiar?), painfully honest too while trying to make it sound earnestly helpful (yes?), and incredibly industrious, dear and generous. Actually, this sounds like Barb too....so not much of a Virgo? Hmmmm 😄 Okay, the organised bit has a different slant with you, I'll grant you, but it sounds as if it's lurking there in a different guise...sharing, retweeting, not missing deadlines etc. Nice to learn more about you, Louise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, your sister does sound just like me! When I try to be helpful I usually end up making things worse. Like the time I stopped to help at a car accident (no one was hurt!) and ended up blocking the road more thoroughly than it had been before!

      Delete
  4. An entertaining post. I love your opening line Louise, "Sometimes I feel being born under the sign of Virgo was some kind of cosmic joke". I think Barb also has a point, speaking as a fellow 'nit-picker'. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heather! And I do pay attention to details, a little bit too much attention. Like Oscar Wilde, I can spend all morning moving a comma around ...

      Delete
  5. You see now I think I'd get on great with a Virgo - I love someone who is honest and tells me stuff straight as I just don't get vague hints as people pussy-foot around what they really what to say. But is does sound like Virgos are not that keen on their own specialness :-) Lovely to find out more about you Louise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G, it's your most compatible sign, one of the great pairings of the zodiac - think Bogart and Bacall! Similarly, Leo and Sagittarius (Mick Jagger & Keith Richards!).

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Georgia! I'm not great at subtle either. Vague hints go right over my head ...

      Delete