Wednesday 14 August 2013

Why Can't I Eat Cake For Breakfast?


Yesterday I was idly and mildly discussing dieting (or lack of it) with a friend of mine. She agreed with me that I was hardly likely to lose weight if I ate cake for breakfast, as I did yesterday.  But then I thought about it.  Why not?


The body doesn't know it's getting two Fabulous Bakin' Boys Strawberries and Cream Mini Cupcakes, does it?  It just knows it's getting carbohydrates and sugar.  If I'd given it two slices of toast and jam ('acceptable' breakfast, though admittedly not if you want to lose weight), it would be no more happy.



It's a bit like kedgeree.  That's normal for breakfast.  But if you said you were having egg curry and rice as your first meal of the day, people would think you were weird.  

I used to know a chap who, because of a brain injury, had no sense of taste.  However, he could detect sweetness, so sweet stuff was what he liked.  Several times, in restaurants, he would order a pudding for all three courses.  Occasionally the waiting staff were rude enough to remark on it.  He had crap teeth, by the way.


Right, must be off and get some lunch.  Ham salad roll and a Weightwatcher's desert.  Or a custard slice.  What the hell, eh?

(ps, the icing on the FBB cupcakes tastes just like those Pink Panther bars you could get when I were a lass.  Champion!)

10 comments:

  1. I literally just ate pasta today for breakfast and I find the larger the breakfast I have, the less hungry I am throughout the day so I actually enjoy snacking on veggies! It totally works. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, you just find out what works for you, don't you? Always love all vegetables, any time - trouble is I like cake and ice cream too!

      Delete
  2. I am totally ruled by my sweet tooth and the problem I have if I have cake for breakfast is it will be cake all day long. I try to get at least to lunchtime before I have any cake or chocolate or biscuits although I'm not always successful. For breakfast I always have porridge but it usually goes down hill from there. I haven't had a brain injury but I'm with your friend,I'd happily live on sweet stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have a sweet tooth at all until I virtually stopped drinking. Since then I want cakes and ice cream all the time, with the result that I must be the only person in the world who has PUT ON weight since stopping drinking so much!! I don't have them all the time, but...!

      How did I know that the comments on this post would be about dieting, rather than the point I was making??? Because we all love to talk about it, successful or not!!!

      Delete
  3. Being a slave to my diet I would eat cake for every meal if I could....alas my hips say otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, let's hear it for cakes and ice cream for every meal, Kerry!!!

      Delete
  4. ha ha ha- wonder who you were discussing dieting with, eh?! Didn't see this until was reading part 3 of blog post on self-published authors. Just read both blog posts to OH and he was piddling himself laughing. Says you sound like a right laugh! At least brekky doesn't consist of pickled herring like in Scandinavia!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah, I just thought of it because of what we were talking about, and rattled it off as I thought it might amuse!!! Ahhh, glad to have made Himself laugh, anyway!!! Yeah - pickled herrings or cupcakes??? Um.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, kedgeree. I thought I was the only one who has ever eaten it!

    And you can have cake for brekkers - just mix up some porridge and wait for it to go cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. or just eat the cake anyway, Michael! btw, I think my latest post, about best selling authors using twitter to promote, might amuse you.... think it's up your rue!

      Delete