Saturday 4 August 2018

My family's weddings, 1919 ~ 1999

I was inspired to put this post together after seeing this one by Liz Lloyd - thanks, Liz!


The changing face of my family's weddings:


My grandparents, Dorothy and Gerald, getting married in 1919. 


 
A story that might amuse you: my grandfather was an officer in India during WW1.  When home, he met my grandmother and her sister, Alice, socially, on several occasions.  While away, he wrote to the one who had captured his heart, and proposed to her.  He didn't realise until he got home that he'd got their names mixed up, and had actually meant to propose to Alice, not Dorothy.  In those days, though, a proposal was a proposal...

My grandmother died in 1941; not long afterwards, he married her sister.  Incidentally, the lady in the black hat behind them is my great aunt Alice Theresa, after whom I was named (the Theresa part, I mean!.


A wartime wedding in 1942, I don't know who all those relatives are, but my father is on the far right, aged 13.   My sister informs me that our great Aunt Mildred, who brought my father up, is the lady sitting next to him. 😊




 
My mother and father's wedding in 1952


....and this picture of my parents, brother, sister and me was taken in 1999, on my wedding day (not the man I am married to now) ~ a lot less formal, and I seem to remember my skirt came from Marks and Spencers!  I remember my mother hating this photo because she didn't realise a button had come off her jacket. 



We had the wedding photos in star sign groups, rather than more traditional ones; here are the two Gemini guests! 





and here are a couple of wedding cartoons, for your enjoyment :)









8 comments:

  1. Lovely! The lady sitting next to our 13-year-old dad is his substitute mum, our great-aunt Mildred, known to him as Auntie Millow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'd just like to make the point that our grandmother and great-aunt were identical twins.

      Delete
  2. Fabulous! I love the story of the mixed up brides - still, he got the right one in the end :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes.... bit of a shame for my mother and her siblings, losing their beloved mother so early in their lives, but nice for him. I guess. ;)

      Delete
  3. Love this post. It's a great idea.I love your grandparents' story -what a gentleman/ gentle man... and he waited!The photos are all wonderful. I presume the Gemini guests weren't actually married to one another?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it was more a case of not being sued for breach of promise, in those days, J! And Mum remembers Auntie Alice coming in as the 'housekeeper' after her mother died, and later marrying him. Mum always said she was a horrible woman... more weird is that SHE waited!!

      Ha ha, no - the Gemini guy was gay! Just good chums. Now both dead, sadly.

      Delete
  4. Lovely post, Terry, and great to have those old photos.

    ReplyDelete