Sunday 1 September 2024

Arran, August 2024



Last month I spent a week on the Isle of Arran with my fellow scribe friends: Barb, Judith, Georgia and Darlene.  It was, as every year, a terrific week!

Meeting Judith at Penrith station, then onwards to The Waterside, where we have lunch just before getting the ferry at Ardrossan


Arran from the ferry  :)


Reuniting with our beloved Dusk (the collie) ... and Barb!



Happy to be on the beautiful beach again :)


 
The artists of Arran had an Open Studio week; Barb, Darlene and I visited the home and Arran studio of Tim Pomeroy, sculptor



His pieces were set out amongst the forest walk behind his house.  
What a place to live!  I especially like the fairy dell, and the hint of autumn as I looked out to sea :)







Ladies with Scarves!


Our morning writers' workshops :)




 

...followed by lunch 😍




Darlene's books are now for sale in The Wee Bookshop, Corrie!







A walk up and down the lane :)


My trendy white shoe/boots, which Judith thought were galoshes.


Now, let me tell you about Georgia's cookie pudding.
Made with chocolate chip cookies, chocolate, cream 
and other heavenly ingredients.
There was a fair bit left in the fridge, but it suddenly disappeared overnight.
This heinous crime has yet to be solved. 😯
The gluttonous thief has never been revealed 😉
Suffice to say it's possibly the best pudding I've ever eaten.
And I have the recipe...



An evening of scary storytelling in the Cladach Beach House (with gin!)



Lovely harp music before the storytelling started :)



Taken whilst talking to my husband on phone, outside!



☔ A rainy day in Lamlash 



More beautiful beach views next morning, after the rain


Swans in the sea!!


(Georgia looks as though she suspects  
where the rest of the cookie pudding went....just the way she's looking at me...)


August 23 - Goodbye to Arran, Barb and Dusk 


Darlene and I braved the outside whilst Georgia and Judith stayed in the warm


Goodbye to Scotland....



Many, many thanks to Barb, Georgia, Darlene, Judith and Dusk for making this another memorable and delightful week.  Miss you all!! xx















14 comments:

  1. How wonderful, Terry, what lovely photos! (And I don't just mean the food!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That cookie pudding - you wait...

      Delete
  2. Loved looking through your photos, Terry. Arran looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Cathy - every year I hope nothing goes wrong, so we can go back!!

      Delete
  3. So lovely to see all these Terry, so many great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fabulous time with fabulous woman writers who believe in fun, good food and great conversation. The best week of the year. Thanks for the great post. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless your heart, Darlene! Actually, I'm just emailing Sally and have mentioned how good it was to see you all again - sending her a link to this!

      Delete
  5. Wonderful Terry and lovely you got to meet up with Judith and Darlene, it sounds like a great workshop and I think I know where that pudding went too.....♥Sally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I consider it my 20% !!! (Yes, just finished your book!!)

      Delete
  6. How totally lovely, TT. It looks heavenly there with that scenery, the beaches and the lovely house. What sort of things to you discuss in your retreat workshops, if that’s what you call them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is heavenly indeed! For the workshops, we each decide on a subject in advance so we can prepare it. For instance, this year Barb did using AI for covers, Darlene did goal setting, Georgia did newsletters, Judith did character creation and I did book length. Darlene often does fun exercises with hers, and we all produce something that can be taken away by the others. For some of the sessions, members of Barb's writing group attend. btw, I am crap at it because I can't do 'speaking with authority' about stuff because of my relentless Imposter Syndrome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  7. I've heard so much about these workshops from Judith and now I have terrific images to go with the accounts. To say I'm envious - of the camaraderie, support, food, scenery and fun, is putting it mildly. You are all so lucky to have these to look forward to. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are indeed. Bless Barb for her generosity in opening her home to us!

      Delete