Friday 29 April 2022

My 100 Favourite Songs - Part 2


Welcome to Part 2 of my Top 100 Favourite Songs list.  They're divided into 5 groups of 20; the first 4 are in no particular order.

Part 1 can be seen HERE.

Part 3 HERE 

Something I found when I was compiling my Top 100 was that songs I used to number among my all-time favourites, I no longer do.  For instance, I used to adore 'The Way It Is' by Bruce Hornsby and The Range, but when I listened to it again, as I listen to them all before including them, it didn't do anything for me.  I much prefer the sampled version: 'Changes' by 2Pac, and was about to add that instead when I realised that what I was enjoying most of all was the beauty of the late lamented Tupac Shakur in the video!

But I'll stick it on here as a bonus song anyway, so you can see it too πŸ˜‰.


🎸🎀πŸ₯


Back to it!

...and here is my second group of twenty, a random mix of musical types, as before!


Bohemian Like You - The Dandy Warhols (2000)




Message of Love - The Pretenders (1981)

I wavered between this and 'Brass In Pocket', but I decided that, although I played the latter about 20 times a day when it first came out, I've heard it so many times that I'm not sure I shall ever need to again.  Thus, not a Top 100!


Silver Machine - Hawkwind (1972)

One of the first singles I ever bought :)



 The Order of Death - Public Image Ltd (1984)



Dig A Pony - The Beatles (1969)

I'm not much of a Beatles fan - I appreciate how good their music is but most of it doesn't quite hit the spot for me.  Except for this.



Castles Made of Sand - Jimi Hendrix (1967)




I love how the voice of Clifford Smith Jnr, aka Method Man, just melts into the flow and the rhythm of this.






(We Don't Need This) Fascist Groove Thang - Heaven 17 (1981)







Hey Boy Hey Girl - The Chemical Brothers (1999)

If I had a quid for every time I've drunkenly danced to this at 2 am... not for some years now, though!



Burlesque - Family (1972)



Pure Shores - All Saints (2000)

I adored the soundtrack to the film The Beach, and used to play it over and over about 20 years ago.  






You Wear It WellRod Stewart (1972)

I bought this when I was just 13, and remember playing it in the living room about 20 times on the day I got it.  Still love it now.  



Wichita LinemanGlen Campbell (1968)



Bittersweet Symphony - The Verve (1997)



Somebody Loves Me - George Gershwin (1924)

sung by Margot Bingham on Boardwalk Empire

(yes, Margot Bingham aka Max in The Walking Dead!)


Owner of a Lonely Heart - Yes (1983)

As perfectly early 80s soft rock as Africa by Toto!



7 comments:

  1. Currently chair dancing to the Chemical Brothers, it really is los cojones del perro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's like that for me when I check all the videos as soon as it's live - I want to listen to all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot I know and many I don’t know here, TT. I love lots of them, but will have to listen to some, the Chemical Brothers to name one I’ve never heard of. I feel a bittersweet irony that you have both the Stones and the Verve in this list. I still haven’t quite forgiven the Stones for denying Richard Ashcroft of all revenues from that beautiful song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS, Tupac Shakur was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he was one of those magic people, wasn't he? I actually didn't know about the Stones and Verve, but it sounds fairly typical of Mick Jagger! I love that you're listening to them :)

      Delete
  5. Really enjoying this list, Terry. Absolutely love Wichita Lineman.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Wendy - yes, it's so beautifully mournful, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete